Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Reward

















Yesterday I hiked to a waterfall that I've heard about now and then over the years but had never been to.  It wasn't an overly long hike (less than a mile), but it was pretty brutal as there is no trail and you have to cross some fairly rugged terrain getting there.  The amount of brush and fallen trees made for a challenge.  I was glad I was doing the hike in the spring before the trees leafed out, as I could somewhat see the best route ahead of me.  Once the leaves are out it would be much harder to find the path of least resistance.  

By the time I got back to the truck I was a sweaty mess, covered with scratches up and down my arms from pushing my way through the brush.  I had spruce needles everywhere... in my pockets, in my shoes, down my shirt.  I had a nice big rip in the right sleeve of my shirt.  Oh, and I found about a dozen wood ticks on me.  The hike was worth all that, though, as the waterfall was very impressive and certainly in a beautiful location with the big hill providing a dramatic backdrop to the falls.  Oh, in case you're wondering... this is on the Arrow River in Ontario :-)

No comments: