Saturday, April 11, 2015

Lights over High Falls

















Well, there was quite the little aurora show last night!  I was out shooting from about 11 PM until 5 AM and really enjoyed the calm spring night.  I visited 6 different locations and came away with a nice variety of images, but the first one I'm sharing with you is one that I've been wanting to get for quite a while.  This was taken at High Falls of the Pigeon River in Grand Portage State Park and is a shot that will only work when you have a little bit of moonlight to illuminate the falls and the river gorge below.  Without the moonlight the foreground would be way too dark.  Also, only a little bit of moonlight will work because if the moon was too bright it would wash out the lights in the sky.  Last night's moonrise was just before 2 AM but I still had to wait a while for the moon to get high enough to shine down into the gorge.  So, I photographed a few locations along the Lake Superior shoreline before heading up to High Falls.  This photo was made at 3:35 AM and was during the brightest flare-up of the lights that I saw all night.  Look for more photos to be posted as soon as I have time to work on them.  For now, I need to head to work for the day :-)

No comments: