Monday, April 6, 2015

Clearing Storm

















On April 1st in Grand Portage we heard our first thunder of the year that I am aware of (and no, this is not an April Fool's).  I say "that I am aware of" because Jessica and I just returned from a 10-day trip to California and Oregon, so there may have been a thunderstorm while we were gone, but none that we have heard of.  Anyway, on the afternoon of April 1st I was sitting in my office at my computer, working on images from our recent trip when I heard a soft rumbling outside.  At first I thought it was the sound of a piece of heavy equipment going by on the road, but after a minute or two I heard another rumble, then another.  I went outside and there were big, beautiful thunderheads rolling across the bay.  

I thought about going out to photograph the clouds but decided I should stay inside and continue working on trip images.  A couple of hours later, however, I went out for a drive and the clouds were still really beautiful.  The thunderheads had moved out over the lake without dropping any moisture on us.  Soon the sun started to break out from behind the clouds and when it did, it was a glorious sight.  I drove to a clearing along Highway 61 which gave me a nice wide view of the sky and made this image.  

1 comment:

Maureen said...

I thought it was heavy equipment going by too! Tim straightened me out - it was definitely thunder.