Sunday, November 2, 2014

November rainbow at High Falls
























Yesterday I spent some time at High Falls in Grand Portage State Park photographing a beautiful rainbow in front of the left side of the falls.  This time of year the waterfall is in full sunlight for a very short period of time.  I was there at 11:30 AM and the left side of the falls was already in shadow.  Normally I wouldn't like that in the middle of the day, but this time I did because it allowed me to make some exposures at longer shutter speeds and blur the motion of the water.  Even though the waterfall was in the shade there was direct sunlight between myself and the falls.  Every now and then the wind would blow just right, pushing the mist through that sunlight and back towards the falling water, adding this rainbow to the scene.  It sure was a beautiful and fun scene to photograph! 

No comments: