Friday, October 3, 2014

The Fallen

















What a strange year for fall colors.  The maples seemed to peak overnight then fall just as fast, now the birch and aspen colors along the Lake Superior shoreline seem to be taking their sweet old time changing.  We are seeing more and more color each day along the shoreline but there is still plenty of green as well.  Here is a shot that I made when the maples were already past peak.  We stopped by a local lake and the surface of the lake was peppered with fallen maple leaves.  Some of the leaves were "marching" across the lake, pushed by a gentle breeze from the north.  Others (like this one) were stationary, presumably hung up on an unseen piece of vegetation just below the surface.  I noticed that my wife Jessica was taking close-ups of the leaves with the telephoto range of her camera and she was getting some spectacular shots.  I couldn't resist getting my telephoto lens from the truck and making my own images of the floating leaves.  It helps to have more than one set of eyes around... everybody sees something different when they look at the same scene :-)

No comments: