Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Aurora Activity 9-27-2014

















In the early morning hours of September 27, 2014 I was helping my friend Bryan Hansel Photography conduct a special night sky session of his fall color photography workshop.  We started off the evening shooting the Milky Way but just after midnight the northern lights started to flare up.  By 1:00 AM (the time this photo was made) the lights were pretty active, waving and dancing throughout the northern sky.  We took the group to the Cascade River where it crosses The Grade since that location is perfect for photographing the lights in the sky as well as their reflection in the river.  While I was busy most of the time making sure the workshop participants were tended to, I did manage to make a few images of the lights for myself.  

At one point a car showed up on the road much to everyone's delight (moans and groans were aplenty as the car sat idling at the intersection of The Grade and Bally Creek Road).   I thought it might make an interesting shot so I clicked my shutter and made an image of the car in the foreground with the aurora in the background.  Every night where the lights are out is a memorable night and this was no exception.  I was glad that the aurora showed up for our night sky session, it was a special treat to an already sublime night!  


















No comments: