Saturday, September 13, 2014

False Aurora Alarm


























Last night's aurora forecast was VERY promising.  Unfortunately, it was also unrealized for us in northeast Minnesota due to heavy cloud cover.  I stayed up until about 4 AM watching the sky and the forecast but the clouds never cleared.  I was really wanting some nice shots to add to my aurora collection and I even had a new location in mind where I had never photographed the aurora before.  I think the location would have been phenomenal, especially with the combination of waning moonlight and the forecast for strong auroras.  I guess I'll just have to wait until the next storm!  Patience is definitely a virtue when it comes to photographing the northern lights.  Since I didn't get any new shots last night, I went through my archives and found an image that I hadn't shared yet from the early morning hours of July 15, 2012, one of the best nights for aurora activity that I've ever experienced.  This photo was made at 2:38 in the morning on the shoreline of McFarland Lake at the end of the Arrowhead Trail.  It may not be current, but it's still very cool and I think very much worth sharing!  

No comments: