Saturday, August 2, 2014

Silent Sentinels

















It's been a Milky Way week!  Last night I went out in search of the northern lights (NOAA forecasters were predicting the possibility of a minor geomagnetic storm) but instead ended up photographing the Milky Way for a few hours.  While the northern lights never really made an appearance other than a very faint glow on the horizon, it was still a magnificent night to be out sky watching.  The Milky Way was as bold as ever and while I photographed the stars I was treated to the haunting calls of a Barred Owl in the distance.  The owl was particularly talkative as I heard him call countless times while I was surrounded by these beautiful pine trees.  The air was incredibly calm so his calls really echoed across the valley.  I don't think I will ever tire of standing underneath such an amazing sky as this.  I sure do love the dark sky that we have here in northern Minnesota!

No comments: