Saturday, August 16, 2014

Queen of the Prairie


















A beautiful patch of a rare flower (especially for northern Minnesota!) that grows on the Grand Portage Reservation.  I've heard that this is an extremely uncommon flower, which is something that I tend to believe since I've never seen it anywhere else in Cook County.  An internet search turned up the result of "Filipendula Rubra", or "Queen of the Prairie".  If you know otherwise, feel free to correct me as I am certainly not an expert when it comes to rare plants.  In any case, it certainly is a beautifully eye-catching flower.  When you go past this field you can't help but notice it.  The bumblebees love it as well
.  As I was photographing them I was surrounded by the bees and estimate there were at least 50 of them scattered throughout the patch of flowers.  It's amazing the amount of activity that is occurring within a patch of flowers such as this.  A quick drive-by certainly doesn't reveal much.  You need to immerse yourself in it and you'll be shocked at how much activity is going just within a small patch of flowers such as this!  

No comments: