Sunday, August 17, 2014

August Moonrise and the Spirit Tree

















Last night before going to bed I checked my moon phase app to see what time the moonrise was supposed to occur.  After seeing that it was going to be in about 10 minutes I made a spur of the moment decision to head down to the Spirit Tree to photograph the event.  It's a waning half-moon right now so I figured there was a good chance I could capture the moonrise along with a sky filled with stars.  When the moon is full it is so bright that it washes out the view of the majority of stars in the sky.  My impromptu plan worked out perfectly.  Not only was the moonlight nice and soft but there was also a thin cloud bank on the horizon which helped to diffuse the light.  The sky above was flooded with stars.  I got the shot I was hoping for!  

No comments: