Friday, July 18, 2014

Heron Family

















Here is my favorite shot of the Herons from Thursday.  Remember the Osprey pictures that I posted yesterday?  Well, right in the same area as the Osprey nest is an entire Heron rookery!  There are at least 18 nests in the rookery, and each nest had at least two (sometimes three) young ones in it.  I sat and watched the rookery for a little over 3 hours and in that time I saw about 8 to 10 adults fly in for brief moments to feed the young ones.  The nest shown in this photo is by far the most photogenic one and I had my eyes on it all morning hoping an adult would fly to it.  I was starting to think it wasn't going to happen and eventually said to myself that I would give it another half hour then I had to start heading home.  About 15 minutes later an adult flew in and landed on the nest for less than two minutes.  That was when I made this picture :-)  

No comments: